PART-TIME ORGANIST POSITION AVAILABLE
Oakhurst Presbyterian Church in Decatur, GA, is seeking a part-time Organist to provide organ music in worship every Sunday and on other special occasions as requested.
The Organist will participate in our music ministry by playing for all worship services and accompanying Chancel Choir rehearsal on Wednesday evenings. The Organist will work under the direct supervision of the Pastor in cooperation with the Worship Committee and in collaboration with the Associate Pastor and both Choir Directors (OPC has two choirs: the Chancel Choir explores music mostly of Euro-American traditions and usually sings in worship on the 1st and 2nd Sundays of each month; the Sanctuary Choir concentrates on gospel music, has its own pianist/director, and usually sings in worship on the 3rd and 4th Sundays of each month).
Oakhurst places high value upon diversity and seeks an organist with enthusiasm for and experience with an array of musical styles and choral groups. As of autumn 2017, we are blessed with a new Allen Digital Organ, 2-Manual, 28-Stop Chancel Series with Vista Navigator and a set of mechanical chimes. This is the instrument our Organist will play.
- Accompany Chancel Choir rehearsals.
- Select and play appropriate organ Prelude and Postlude, provide service music, and accompany hymns for every worship service.
- Collaborate each week with the Chancel Choir Director, and be available to support occasional requests from the Sanctuary Choir Director.
- Stay in consultation with the Pastors and the liturgical calendar for coherence in worship planning and leadership.
- For special services such as weddings or funerals, the Organist is often asked to play. Those requesting the services will compensate the Organist for his/her time.
- B.A. in Organ Performance preferred.
Weekly time commitment will range from four to five hours. Two weeks of paid vacation annually (two Sundays and two rehearsals). Salary commensurate with experience.
Application deadline: 11/30/17, or until position is filled. Start date: between 10/1/17 and 1/1/18.
For more information or to apply for the position, please send your resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Oakhurst Presbyterian
Oakhurst Presbyterian Church is a community of diversities which empowers us to confront God’s truth in the world. Through Jesus Christ, dividing walls are broken down, leading us to affirm that we are called to be one family through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. God is active in the life of Oakhurst and has given us a vision of hope, inspiring us in the proclamation of the absolute power of God’s love and God’s grace. We are rooted in the truth that nothing can separate us from the love of God! The very thing we once feared–our differences–has empowered us to proclaim the Good News of the Gospel, breaking down the barriers of the world, and drawing us together to become whole in Christ.